You are currently viewing Studying in Belgium
ABSB Books

Studying in Belgium


In Belgium, the Communities are responsible for taking decisions on services for individuals, such as education. The Flemish Community is therefore responsible for education in the Dutch-speaking part of the country whilst the French Community is the competent authority for the French-speaking part of Belgium, and the German-speaking Community for education in German.

Entry requirements for Belgium

If you are a national from a non-European Union country, you may need a visa to enter Belgian territory. For questions regarding visa and related matters, you should contact the Belgian embassy or Belgian consulate in your country or a neighbouring country.

All the information concerning visa applications for Belgium is available on the website of the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home Affairs(link is external), which is the competent Belgian authority for access to the territory, stay, residence and removal of foreigners in Belgium.

Once you have arrived in Belgium, details of your country’s embassy or consulate(This hyperlink opens a new window) may also be useful.


The Development Cooperation subsite lists all official bodies which offer grants(This hyperlink opens a new window) in Belgium.


Many schools and universities have rooms available for students or provide lists of rooms which are available to rent locally. As such, it is advisable to contact your educational establishment to find out this information.

Education in the Flemish Community

You will find a comprehensive overview of all possibilities on the website Studying in Flanders(link is external).

Higher Education in Flanders(link is external) is a brochure in pdf format. This brochure lists and explains the various degrees and diplomas which can be obtained from Flemish educational establishments. It also provides information on the range of study options in Flanders. The brochure gives a comprehensive overview of higher education establishments and financial information on all types of courses (e.g. grants).

The NARIC website(link is external) and ENIC-NARIC website(link is external) inform you whether your foreign diploma receives the same recognition in the Flemish Community as in your own country.

Education in the French Community

You will find a comprehensive overview of all possibilities on the website Study in Belgium(link is external).

On the website Venir étudier en Belgique(link is external) you can find an overview of opportunities for studying in French-speaking Belgium.

The Service Equivalences(link is external) deals with the equivalence of foreign primary and secondary education certificates. To find out if your university degree receives the same recognition in the French Community as in the country where you obtained, you can visit the website of the French Community(link is external).

Allocation d’études(link is external) provides useful information on how to submit an application for a student grant or student loan.

Education in the German-speaking Community

On the website of the German-speaking Community(link is external), you can find an overview of opportunities for studying in German-speaking Belgium.

Other interesting links

Leave a Reply